Kate Winstanley's signature facial has been hailed as "THE Non-Surgical Facelift" and is featured on Channel 4's "How Not to Get Old".
Here Kate answers your questions on Cosmetic Acupuncture and her Age Defence Facial.
What is cosmetic acupuncture?
Cosmetic Acupuncture is a totally natural treatment that more and more people are turning to as an alternative to invasive injections, fillers and chemical treatments.
Cosmetic acupuncture is a whole-body treatment based on traditional acupuncture theories so you will glow from the inside out. Improved sleep, energy, digestion and mood are other common positive effects.
A study showed that of 300 cases treated with Cosmetic Acupuncture 90% had marked effects with one course of treatment.
How does Cosmetic Acupuncture work?
- Increases blood circulation which improves oxygenation of the skin, enabling detoxification and lymph circulation. This improves skin tone, color and texture.
- Stimulates collagen production which plumps up the skin.
- Stimulates muscles in the face. We are working with various muscles in the face. Needles are used to stimulate the muscle and tighten them.
- Intradermal needles cause non-visible tissue damage which stimulates a wound-healing response and increases cell regeneration filling out and smoothing lines and wrinkles.
- Hormones play a key role in the appearance of our skin - acne-type hormonal imbalances, stress-related skin problems and ageing as estrogen levels decline. Acupuncture helps the skin by regulating and balancing hormones.
What is involved in The Age Defence Facial?
The Age Defence Facial is a highly specialised, very effective facial. Each facial is bespoke and tailored to the client's specific concerns.
- Very fine needles stimulate acupuncture points on the face, ears and body.
- Intradermal needles are used in fine lines and wrinkles - for example on the forehead, between the eyebrows, the nasal-labial lines (nose to corner of mouth lines), crows feet (lines around the eyes).
- Needles are left in place for 15 minutes then removed. Afterwards the face is gently treated with a Jade Roller to stimulate the lymphatic system and de-puff the eye area.
How much does it cost?
The Age Defence Facial costs £125. A course of ten is £1150.
Does it hurt?
No, not at all. The needles are incredibly fine. So fine they are actually flexible. They go in just a few millimeters. There are some points where I am stimulating a ‘grabbing’ feeling so you will feel this but it is just a mild feeling. Most people fall asleep during the treatment and find it incredibly relaxing.
Will there be any marks afterwards? What could go wrong?
This is a totally natural process so there are no side-effects. Occasionally a point may bleed slightly when the needle is removed and on rare occasions a small bruise may appear. I apply arnica cream if there is any suggestion of one appearing.
How long will it take to see results from Cosmetic Acupuncture?
I am always careful to manage my client’s expectations. This is not radical surgery, this is a natural treatment working with the body so improvements are not instant but over a course of treatment very significant, often amazing.
A course of 10 treatments is prescribed - two a week for the first two weeks, one a week for the remaining six weeks with a monthly retainer treatment advised.
- The main benefit that you will find almost instantly and over the following days is that your skin condition and tone will improve. Pores will become less visible. You will have a glow and people will tell you you’re looking really well!
- After 2-3 treatments you should notice a reduction in fine lines and puffiness.
- After further treatments, as the facial muscles tighten, you will notice more dramatic improvement to the contours of the face.
- One area that responds particularly well to treatment is the nasal labial fold. After just a few treatments these lines can significantly soften.
What’s the best age to start?
Prevention is better than cure so start early (ie in your 30s) but clients their 60s and 70s have been delighted with the improvement.