Acupuncture is more effective than prescribed medication
It has long been known that acupuncture helps people with sleep problems. Many of my patients swear by it.
This knowledge is now backed up by robust research which is consistent in showing that acupuncture is significantly more effective than hypnotic drugs.
Acupuncture treats the root cause of your insomnia
One in three people suffer from bouts of insomnia and too many people may be damaging their health by self-medicating with sleeping pills, according to the Royal Pharmaceutical Society. There is evidence that over-reliance on sleeping pills is linked to dementia.
As always, it is better to get to the root cause of the problem than mask it with medication.
How does acupuncture help with insomnia?
Acupuncture stimulates the nervous system and causes the release of neurochemical messenger molecules. The resulting biochemical changes influence the body's homeostatic mechanisms, thus promoting physical and emotional wellbeing.
Stimulation of certain acupuncture points has been shown to affect areas of the brain that are known to reduce sensitivity to pain and stress, as well as promoting relaxation and deactivating the 'analytical' brain, which is responsible for insomnia and anxiety (Hui 2010).
Research shows that acupuncture may benefit people with insomnia by:
• Increasing nocturnal endogenous melatonin secretion (Spence et al 2004).
• Stimulating opioid production and µ-opioid receptor activity (Cheng et al 2009).
• Increasing nitric oxide synthase activity and nitric oxide content, promoting normal function of brain tissues, which could help regulate sleep (Gao et al 2007).
• Increasing cerebral blood flow (Yan 2010)
• Reducing sympathetic nervous system activity, increasing relaxation (Lee 2009a)
• Regulating levels of neurotransmitters (or their modulators) such as serotonin, noradrenaline, dopamine, GABA and neuropeptide Y; hence altering the brains's mood chemistry increasing relaxation and reduce tension (Lee 2009b; Samuels 2008; Zhou 2008).
If you have any questions or would like to book an appointment to help you get a better night's sleep please get in touch. ________________________________________________
Kate Winstanley LicAc BSc(hons) BA(hons) MBAcC
Kate is a fully qualified and experienced acupuncturist with a clinic Fulham.
07794 621027 firstname.lastname@example.org